HPL has the following part-time position open. If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter via mail to PO Box 471, Hazen, ND 58545 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00 pm April 2, 2018.
Title: Part-Time Story Time Coordinator/Assistant Librarian
Department: Hazen Public Library
Reports to: Library Director
Story Time Coordinator Duties
1. Plans and presents Weekly Story time for preschool children during school year
2. Plans and presents Story time for Head Start children during school year (monthly)
3. Special Story time events throughout the year (i.e., National Library Week, Children’s Book Week, etc., Spooky Story time at Halloween)
4. Story time includes music, movement, and craft item
5. Clean up of room following story time
6. Plan and set up Summer Reading Program – Visits school to encourage enrollment in SRP
7. Computer knowledge – may fill in at circulation desk during other employees’ absences (the following job description will then be followed by employee)
8. Any other duties as assigned by the Library Director
Assistant Librarian Description of duties: Basic requirements/skill/knowledge
• Greeting patrons and offering to help find what they are seeking
• Opening and closing of the library as per schedule
• Circulation of all material to the public
• Register new patrons
• Processing of books between McLean-Mercer Regional Library and Hazen Public Library
• Processing overdue notices
• Shelving of books
• Cleaning of library
Check/clean bathroom daily
Trash out to dumpster
Vacuum/Scrub the library
Leaving library in orderly condition at end of day
Leaving office in orderly condition at end of day
• Placing interlibrary loan (ILL) requests for patrons in a timely manner; notifying patrons when item is either in or can’t be located. Maintain records of ILLs.
• Assist patrons in the use of computers, printers, copiers, scanners, microfilm/microfiche reader, and community access channel software/equipment.
• Flexibility of working hours to work around co-worker’s schedules and take on additional hours per director’s request (filling in when director and co-workers are on vacation, ill, etc.)
• Cataloging duties as directed by the Director including processing of books. Creating spine labels, linking item to MARC record in the software.
• Keeping income tax forms/publications stocked during tax season
• Keeping magazines in order in magazine end caps and in basement; discarding after two years (removing from database).
• Make recommendations for purchases of reading materials and other items and formats
• Yearly weeding of different genres according to director’s instructions
• Other duties as assigned by Library Director
• Ability to communicate and understand the public and fellow employees by using the spoken word and to be able to hear and understand what is said by the public and fellow employees either by natural hearing or with the use of hearing aids
• Ability to lift a maximum of 50 lbs.